About the Olde Oregon Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast
Innkeeper, Mary Bolinger, and her husband, Todd, purchased this beautiful farmhouse in 2015. Although in the process of restoration by the previous owners, it still needed and will continue to need a lot of TLC. With the goal of keeping the farmhouse as original as possible, no renovations are planned, nor have any major renovations occurred during its existence. The thoughtful, deliberate process of repairing, painting and cleaning up the property is slowly transforming this once neglected part of local history into a stately presence at the center of the Village of Oregon in Lancaster County. In just 2 short years, so much progress has been made with all of the design work and most of the handiwork completed personally by Mary and Todd. Guests will have the opportunity to appreciate the originality of this charming farmhouse and to follow the continued progress.
Unfortunately, not much written history of the farmhouse exists. Through public records and written messages in the house, it is confirmed that Grabill and Anna Bear built the farmhouse sometime in the 1860’s and completed in 1875. Except for the names, the roads, Creek and E Oregon that border the property, are the same roads traveled centuries ago. Although now covered with macadam and used by automobiles and trucks today, guests will be able to see the daily sojourns of the local amish families in their buggies and wagons. Spring planting and fall harvesting seasons offer a glimpse to a time past, as teams of mules pull heavy farm equipment to their fields for cultivating and harvesting. Guests can buy fresh home grown fruits, vegetables, and baked goods just around the corner. Or, if lucky, can buy off their wagons that frequently come to the farmhouse.
As more and more farms and historic homes are disappearing from our Lancaster County countryside, we are blessed to be the caretakers of this magnificent place. We look forward to meeting you and sharing this piece of architectural history with you.